Friday, 6 January 2012
Black Forest Twist Cupcakes
60 g plain flour
60g self raising flour
1 dessert spoon cornflour
30 g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
20g instant coffee
210g caster sugar
3 tsp vegetable oil
100g plain dark chocolate
1 tub glacé cherries
2 tbsp cherry conserve
1 tbsp chopped nuts (optional)
1 tbsp Kirsch cherry brandy (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Melt the chocolate with the butter, coffee granules and 80ml of water in a tight fitting bowl over a pan of boiling water on a low heat.
2. Weigh all dry ingredients into a large bowl. Crack in the eggs. Pour in the chocolate mixture. Stir until combined. The mixture will look very wet.
3. Chop up 10 glacé cherries and stir in. If you like, now add the chopped nuts.
4. Spoon mixture with 2 tsp into 12 separate bun cases (or until you've filled them two thirds of the way up)
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Don't open the over door before then or your cakes will sink. As the mixture is so wet, don't panic if they don't look like they are rising immediately! When 20 minutes is up, press lightly on a cupcake. If it springs back, it is done. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Gently heat the cherry jam and cherry brandy together in a pan. Divide and spread the mixture evenly onto the top of each cake. Ice with a tsp glacé icing. Top each cake with a glacé cherry.
Note: If you prefer, you can beat some cream cheese together with enough icing sugar to taste and use this as an alternative topping. Similarly, you could top with a fresh cherry and some grated dark chocolate...